kindom musings

Thoughts and musings from a pastor in the peace tradition. Perspectives come from a progressive, justice-minded, feminist position. Responses are welcome.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I am a Church of the Brethren pastor in my thirties. While I love what I do, I started out with plans to be a veterinarian. God has a great sense of humor, and I wound up in ministry instead. However, my sojourn into veterinary science did make me a vegetarian with a love of animals. (We have two cats and a dog at home -- only a small petting zoo!) My husband is also ordained, and we have a son (LB) and a daughter (KB). My husband keeps me up to date on baseball trivia, and my children keep me giggling. All in all, it makes for a well-rounded life. I was born in Pennsylvania, moved several times for school and work, and have recently returned to my home state. On the Myers-Briggs scale, I'm an INFP.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

a new start

I recently celebrated a birthday, which fell on a Sunday this year, so I had the mixed blessing of sharing the morning with a lot of people and trying to be responsible in preaching a sermon faithful to the text. As if I didn't have enough of an audience on Sunday morning, I decided it would be a good time to reach out into cyber-space. Actually, I felt like I was one of the few people I know who didn't have a blog. (I've always been on the slow end of the technology wave.)

There are some major differences between sermons and blogs. When I preach, I feel pressure to be accurate in representing scripture. Here, I write from the text of my life. In worship, I consider how a message affects those who are listening. Here, readers are anonymous. I have no hidden agenda, no lectionary to guide me (other than the bits of sermon writing that may spill over into my thoughts), and no special church emphases. It's actually very freeing.

In the past, I have been an occasional journaler, but I go from times when I write every day to months without writing a word. However, there's something about putting thoughts out there for anyone to see that makes me feel accountable. There's something very vulnerable and appealing to creating space for whatever responses may come. I think this is the church at its best and its worst. We are both free to speak our thoughts and unaware of how our comments may be read by others. We share deep parts of who we are, yet we reserve giving out too much personal information. Oh, to live in a community where we can all give and receive with complete trust and confidence...

Thanks for reading, and please share your comments,

Peacepastor

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Liz!
Look for an e-mail from RingSurf with the RevGal code and please let me know if you need help adding it to your blog.

8/22/2006 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home