kindom musings

Thoughts and musings from a pastor in the peace tradition. Perspectives come from a progressive, justice-minded, feminist position. Responses are welcome.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I am a Church of the Brethren pastor in my thirties. While I love what I do, I started out with plans to be a veterinarian. God has a great sense of humor, and I wound up in ministry instead. However, my sojourn into veterinary science did make me a vegetarian with a love of animals. (We have two cats and a dog at home -- only a small petting zoo!) My husband is also ordained, and we have a son (LB) and a daughter (KB). My husband keeps me up to date on baseball trivia, and my children keep me giggling. All in all, it makes for a well-rounded life. I was born in Pennsylvania, moved several times for school and work, and have recently returned to my home state. On the Myers-Briggs scale, I'm an INFP.

Monday, August 28, 2006

glimmers of songs

For the better part of the day, I've had what I thing is a line from a hymn stuck in my head. If I'm remembering it correctly, I'd like to use it on Sunday, but at this point I'm no longer even sure it exists beyond my imagination. The little piece I have is "...we reflect the light he (God?) is..." That's it -- it's not a lot to go on.

That kind of feels true for my whole faith life. I firmly believe that we each reflect the light of God, that we each have a piece of God's very essense within us, ready to show the world. I once heard a story (and I think I've added some pieces to it) of a great mirror that showed only God's image. But somehow the mirror broke into billions of tiny pieces. The wind picked up these pieces and scattered them all over the earth. Each living thing held and to this day holds some small part of this mirror deep within its being. Only in our ability to seek out these parts in others can we gain a fuller glimpse of God. The more we are open to peering into the mirrors of each others' souls, the more we are able to grow in understanding of who God is, and who we are as images of God.

As myth, as truth, I believe these things, but sometimes I have trouble accessing what is within me. My own reflection of God's light gets buried under work loads or by my own insecurities. It's like I know the tune is out there, but I can't quite bring it to memory. God whispered it in my ear as a mother sings to her baby, but I have forgotten exactly how the melody and the words fit together.

Then in great glimspes, it all seems clear for a short while. I remember who I really am, who we are all created to be, and it restores my hope in humanity. But all too quickly, it slips below the surface again, and I have to trust that what I can't hold in my hands or head is nonetheless real and true.

I find it helps to ask in times of prayer, to myself, and occasionally in conversation: "What do you see in me? What do I see in you?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home