kindom musings

Thoughts and musings from a pastor in the peace tradition. Perspectives come from a progressive, justice-minded, feminist position. Responses are welcome.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I am a Church of the Brethren pastor in my thirties. While I love what I do, I started out with plans to be a veterinarian. God has a great sense of humor, and I wound up in ministry instead. However, my sojourn into veterinary science did make me a vegetarian with a love of animals. (We have two cats and a dog at home -- only a small petting zoo!) My husband is also ordained, and we have a son (LB) and a daughter (KB). My husband keeps me up to date on baseball trivia, and my children keep me giggling. All in all, it makes for a well-rounded life. I was born in Pennsylvania, moved several times for school and work, and have recently returned to my home state. On the Myers-Briggs scale, I'm an INFP.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

EIEI...Oh, that's not it

I just returned last night from taking my son to Cincinnati Children's Hospital, a nine hour trip from here. It seems crazy to travel so far for a short procedure (an upper gi scope -- all of seven minutes in length), but we began with this doctor and hospital when we lived much closer, and we continue because the doctor is both excellent and somewhat unique in his field. My son (LB) has what is called eosinophilic esophagitis (e.e.), a fairly rare condition that affects protein absorbtion and is triggered by multiple food allergies. We treat him by having him in a very slow food trial process -- he currently has nine foods he can eat in addition to a specialized formula that is both expensive and has a nasty smell. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to mind the taste. Ironically, he can have anything completely aftificial since sugars and dyes are non-reactive for him. After almost three years of diagnosis and treatment, that unwieldy condition name almost rattles off my tongue, even though it isn't much easier to say than it is to write. While there are plenty of doctors who could do the scope, there are very few doctors who work directly with this condition and directly with children. This doctor has written a number of articles about it, and his name pops up in conjunction with e.e. on many online searches. So, being the concerned parents we are, B.W. and I will continue to make the trek, at least as long as insurance will agree to cover it in network.

It's not so different from folks who travel for specialized cancer care or other health concerns. No, e.e. is not life-threatening by itself, but if the eosinophils (a type of white blood cell) build up, they could eventually affect his breathing. In the mean time, his ability to digest protein has an obvious connection to his long-term development. So far, he thrives. Although he's small for his age, you'd never know from his activity level that he has any kind of medical issues. And so far, little sister KB shows no signs of having the same struggles. As I write this, she is next to me with fistfuls of bread and turkey, and she takes sips from a cup of milk -- none of these things are part of LB's diet. But it is possible he'll outgrow some of the allergies. Maybe someday we'll all be able to eat a full meal together without switching out foods.

Things went well yesterday at the doctor, and the preliminary report looks encouraging. I feel blessed, even as I struggle with feelings of guilt that my decisions put extra weight on the back of the world. By traveling so far, I use much more gas and resources. I claim a privilege that I can travel for the health care I long for my son, and I'm not likely to give this up for the sake of greater justice. I feel torn between care for my child and a more general care for the children, and for now, I have to live with my decision to stand on the side of my son. I wrestle with the same feelings in many of the other privileges I use on a regluar basis -- plentiful running water for washing, laundry, drinking, and watering flowers in dry spells. Even so, I sigh for a world where one's benefit does not come at another's expense. So many values feel like they are in conflict with one another. I rejoice in my freedoms, even as I shudder at the image the US is largely projecting onto the world. I celebrate liberty and cry out that I don't want them to be preserved by violence. Sometimes I yearn for more innocent days when I wasn't aware of such disparities. But I have tasted of the fruit of knowledge, and choices now push me to look down the ramifications of many choices. God, guide me in, through, and by love in my actions...

1 Comments:

Anonymous just beastiality stories said...

He hitboth of my breasts a second time and told me to bend down so hecould kiss them and take away the pain. But she did have an earthy sex appealto her.
celebrity fuck stories
free erotic stories
true gangbang sex stories
gay demon sex stories
kinky male masturbation stories
He hitboth of my breasts a second time and told me to bend down so hecould kiss them and take away the pain. But she did have an earthy sex appealto her.

12/04/2010 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home