kindom musings

Thoughts and musings from a pastor in the peace tradition. Perspectives come from a progressive, justice-minded, feminist position. Responses are welcome.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I am a Church of the Brethren pastor in my thirties. While I love what I do, I started out with plans to be a veterinarian. God has a great sense of humor, and I wound up in ministry instead. However, my sojourn into veterinary science did make me a vegetarian with a love of animals. (We have two cats and a dog at home -- only a small petting zoo!) My husband is also ordained, and we have a son (LB) and a daughter (KB). My husband keeps me up to date on baseball trivia, and my children keep me giggling. All in all, it makes for a well-rounded life. I was born in Pennsylvania, moved several times for school and work, and have recently returned to my home state. On the Myers-Briggs scale, I'm an INFP.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sabbath rest

I love Sunday evenings. Far from the going back to work blues, Sunday is usually the beginning of my day off. I have had the companionship of church family, often some time with extended family, and I am released from sermon writing, good or bad, for at least a day. It is an opportunity to reflect, to dream without really pressed for time, to catch up on reading or puzzles, and simply to focus on "be-ing."

Although I usually enjoy my calling, it is nice to rest. Sabbath is a good thing, even if I don't always take it in as fully as I can. It feels kind of gentle and mellow, a time that seems as ripe for boisterous laughter as it does for quiet bubblebaths. In the freedom of Sunday evenings, I am most open to recreation and re-creation. (Of course, this does not apply to Church Business Meetings or emergency hospital visits, but fortunately, these are rare exceptions to the rule.)

On this Sunday evening of Labor Day weekend, it feels especially worthwhile to pause and reflect on what a blessing it is to be able to live out my calling, to feel I am contributing to something worthwhile, to be able to use creativity, gifts, and inspiration on a daily basis. I am also aware of competing thoughts of the need to rest and be refreshed and the cries of those who long to have work from which they can rest.

Several years ago, I read a commentary on biblical texts from a Latino perspective. One of the chapters was on the parable of the laborers in the vineyard (Matthew 21). It had always seemed unfair that workers who had been hired late in the day received as much for their labors as those who had been hired first thing in the morning. I had always assumed the other workers were lazy or that they chose to come to work late in the day. However, the perspective in this book spoke of laborers who waited all day to be hired, who had no lack of motivation or refusual to work hard. They simply were overlooked until late in the day. Finally, they had their opportunity to serve, to contribute and to have the dignity of earning money for their family instead of relying on someone else's handouts. In this light, being given a day's wage, regardless of the length of the day, seems just and right.

May we all find and do work that brings satisfaction and fulfillment, and at the end of the day, may we go gently into rest from our labors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

amen... hope you enjoyed your sabbath rest, welcome to revgals from a fellow INFP

9/04/2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading about Sabbath. I just finished reading and preaching a series on Sabbath.
Welcome to revgalblogpals.
Peace
Amy

9/05/2006 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home